Each spring, our Counselor will visit classrooms to talk to students about requesting courses for next year.
In order to be prepared, families should regularly review the information in PowerSchool with their student. In addition to keeping track of current grades, you should review your student’s current schedule and graduation progress. The documents linked to the right, the Curriculum Guide and the course selection documents, will be helpful as well.
Before the counselor visits, teachers will take time in class to describe the sequence of courses for their subject area and to make recommendations about next year’s courses. For any students who may be taking courses out of sequence, teachers will pull them aside to describe what courses they should select next.
In order to ensure that your student is prepared to select courses for next year, please remind your students about the following:
- They will need to know what class they should take next.
- They will need their PowerSchool access codes
- They should be aware of when we are meeting with students.
If you have any questions about these procedures, feel free to contact Dr. Mitchell or Mrs. Burrage.
Choosing a Major at the Arts Academy
Arts Academy in the Woods students have the opportunity to participate in learning in and through the arts throughout their academic career. Most artists choose a specific art that they would like to focus their studies, but many will try many different forms of expression.
There will be many opportunities to participate in activities and events with the other artists within a major, so we ask artists to update their preferred art major annually using the Art Major Request form.
The final decision regarding art major will be made during an artist’s senior year by completion of an art based Senior Project.
Senior Project is a course is designed to be the culmination of a student’s efforts from four years of study in the Arts Academy in the Woods’ art programs. This course is required for graduation for students at the Academy. The content of what will be studied is determined by the student and is facilitated by the art instructors and will involve the student’s art major as the basis of the course.
The course instructor will mentor the artist as they prepare the three portions of the Senior Project, including the project, the reflective essay, and the portfolio of work in their art major.
- Projects are to be determined by the artist and the instructor, but past projects have consisted of the productions such as: senior recital, original composition, research paper, presentation for children, presentation collaboration with dancers, singers, artists, etc. Projects can be collaboration with another student in the same or different art discipline, for example, a flutist may prepare a joint recital with a dancer or actor from the Academy.
- The Reflective essay ill include description and sources of inspiration as well as an Artist Statement: “Where have you been? Where are you now? Where are you going as an artist?”
- The finished portfolio will be suitable for applying to a college or university art program and may include print, digital, audio, or video work. All Portfolios will include a resume, several examples of work, and three letters of recommendation.
Arts Academy in the Woods now has the ability to manage internal documents to reflect a student’s preferred name in PowerSchool and other unofficial documents. If you or your student are interested in using a preferred/affirmed name in unofficial records, please fill out the form linked below.
By requesting a change, the student acknowledges that his/her/their affirming/preferred name WILL be visible in PowerSchool and WILL appear on all unofficial school related documents (i.e. Parent Portal, letters sent home, yearbook, etc.). However, official records like standardized tests and transcripts will still have the student’s legal name on them.
The student may request a change ONLY ONCE per school year.
Please note: This change is not legally binding and is for internal use only.