Arts Academy Updates 10/19/2023
Updates from Dr. Mitchell and Mrs. Ignagni will be added to our Daily Announcements on our website. You can always find the most up-to-date news there!
This update and previous information are included on the Back-to-School page
Upcoming calendar dates
10/20 – Fall Festival
11/13 – Board meeting (Board meeting time has changed to 6pm)
11/22 – 11/24 – Thanksgiving Break
The afternoon Hangout will be closed on October 20 for the Fall Festival and on October 31 for Halloween
Students can wear costumes/cosplay for the Fall Festival and on Halloween. Costumes must be school appropriate and face coverings must be removed during class.
Fall Festival: Tomorrow, immediately after school, the PTO will host a Fall Festival. It is free for the whole family. Games, food, prizes, and much more. Be sure to remind your families.
The school Poetry Out Loud assembly will be held on November 8. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Mrs. Francis!
Middle School Fall Ball – October 27th 4:00-6:00. Tickets are $5 per student sold during lunch the week of the dance. No outside guests allowed
Senior Dues – $130 due November 17th. Can be paid in the office with cash or check, or online
Snowcoming High School Dance – December 8th 7:00-10:00pm. Tickets are $15 each. Guest permission slips are available at ticket sales. Tickets are available during A and B lunch starting November 27th until December 7th.
Mr. Wotherspoon met with Senior Project classes on October 16th to inform them about all the senior events. While with the seniors, we discussed t-shirt design, prom, and prank. All these things will go through Mr. Wotherspoon who will discuss with Dr. Mitchell to come to the best (safest) decision for the students.
Senior Picture – Seniors that plan to use their own photo in the yearbook (instead of the school photographer’s photo), will need to submit an electronic copy. Senior Pictures must be submitted by January 1st and details can be found on the Yearbook Info page.
Senior Dues – $130.00 – 1 payment DUE – November 17th, 2023 – payment can be made online at E funds for schools or in the office with cash or check.
Senior dues cover the cost of cap and gown, tassel, Senior t-shirt, Senior sweater, 5 tickets for graduation (10 max additional tickets sold 2 weeks before)
Senior/Junior Prom – Friday May 17th, 2024 – location and ticket price TBD
Monday May 20th – 7th hour
Tuesday May 21st – 5th and 6th hour
Wednesday May 23rd – 3rd and 4th hour
Thursday May 24th – 2nd and 1st hour
Friday, May 31st, 2024 – Arts Academy Field 6:30PM
Graduation Rehearsal- Thursday, May 30th, 2024, 5:30-6:30
Will be chosen by the seniors, approved by Mr. Wotherspoon and Dr. Mitchell.
Wednesday May 29th, 2024 – Cedar Point Class of 2024 first alumni event!
Just a day trip. Looking for donations or sponsors for a charter bus to take us from the school to our destination, and back. If not, volunteer drivers will be needed. Chaperoned by Mr. Wotherspoon. Not included in senior dues. Tickets purchased on your own.
If you have any questions, please contact your Senior Class Advisor. Mr. Wotherspoon email@example.com
Arts Academy in the Woods- Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) Update
23-24 PTO NEWSLETTER 1 / OCTOBER 2023
A WARM WELCOME
We are about six weeks into the school year and things have been quite busy at the Arts Academy in the Woods! So far, we have had a wonderful orientation for our new students, a back-to-school assembly, senior parking spot painting, curriculum night/ice cream social, welcomed new staff and had tons of learning inside and out of the classrooms. The PTO will provide summarized updates via this bi-monthly update Newsletter which will be shared via email and posted to our PTO page on the school website. Please find additional information on our website: https://lnk.bio/aawpto and follow our social media pages at Arts Academy in the Woods – PTO on Facebook and Instagram
If you have not paid the annual $50 material fee, you can do so through Efunds: https://payments.efundsforschools.com/v3/districts/56714
SAVE THE DATES:
- 10/20 THIS FRIDAY IS Fall Festival 3:45-5:30pm; we still need donations for baked goods. We also would appreciate extra people to help set up the event and activities; anyone available to help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- 10/27 Middle School Fall Dance 4-6pm
- 11/13 AAW Board of Directors meeting **6pm (NEW TIME in Room 103)
- 11/14 AAW PTO Meeting 3:45pm (Room 103)
- 11/17 Senior Student Dues – $130.00 – 1 payment DUE – payment can be made online at E funds for schools or in the office with cash or check. (includes Cap and gown, tassel, t-shirt, sweater, 5 tickets for graduation (10 max additional tickets sold 2 weeks before)
- 11/22-24 NO School
- 12/8 – SNOWCOMING Dance (High School)
- 2/25-1/02 Holiday Break (no school)
Ongoing AAW Information:
- Free Breakfast and Lunch for every student (see: lunch menus)
- Monday is our weekly early release day (2:35pm)
- Updated School Calendar with days off, assemblies, and college visits can be found <HERE>
- Board meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month at 6pm in room 103
- PTO meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 3:45pm in room 103 or via Zoom Meeting ID: 838 3672 5705, Passcode: pto
- Purchase your School photos (Ten Percent discount code: F202310OFF)
- School yearbooks are also available for purchase now.
- There is still time to sign up for the June 2024 International trip to Greece/Italy. Visit: https://my.passports.com/my/tour and enter the tour ID CCAMPBELL2024 Contact Mr. Campbell with any questions.
- Amazon WISH LIST for our teacher’s lounge
- Amazon WISH LIST for our Social Workers for much needed supplies for students
- Kroger Community Rewards Program – Kroger will donate to our PTO a percentage of your shopping at NO cost to you. We currently receive over $200/year from Kroger and only have 23 families participating. Simply click the link below and connect your rewards account to Arts Academy in the Woods-PTO. Please encourage friends and family to consider linking to us as well. The funds directly impact the students and are a huge help. Thank you! https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards
We have many after school clubs as well as the before/after school Hangout available:
- Tuesdays after school:
- Fashion Club In the visual arts room @3:45
- Dungeons & Dragons Grades 6-12 Room 215 with Mr. Rector
- Wednesdays after school:
- Musicians Club Grades 9-12 Room 104 with Mr. Allen
- Drama Club Grades 9-12 Room 107 with Mr. Messel
- Every other Thursday before school @7:45am
- Student Council Grades 6-12 Room 112 with Mr. Wotherspoon and Mrs. Neale
- Thursdays after school:
- Art Club Grades 6-12 Room 113 with Mr. Guay
- Citywide Poets Grades 9-12 Room 205 with Mrs. Francis
- NAHS Grades 9-12 Room 113 with Mr. Guay
- Dungeons & Dragons Room 206 with Mr. C
Finally, please consider supporting local businesses who have made donations to the AAW PTO and school:
Raffle Donations from Curriculum Night:
- Beauty Bar- Sterling Heights
- Schott’s Market- Fraser
- Harper Woods Dance
- Tastefully Simple- Tammy Felarca Marquardt
- Kitty Deluxe – St. Clair Shores
Food discount for New Student Orientation:
- Taormina’s Pizza of Royal Oak
Mulch for the woodchip project:
- MDL tree service
Early Bird Sale is going on now through Halloween, October 31st. Scan the QR code, enter the school code, and get your Yearbook at a discounted price. For more information contact Ms. C in the art room.