Schedule Changes 09/02/2022
If your student would like to request a schedule change, please complete the Request Schedule Change form on the Counseling page of the website. We will do our best to address changes submitted by Sunday by Monday morning. We will continue to address change requests after the first day of school.
First Day of School Orientation UPDATED 09/01/2022
Orientation will take place on the first day of school, September 6, 2022
Although we have had to be flexible, we still know we can have a great first day experience for everyone. We want to honor some of our traditions, but we will do it in a new way this year!
The traditions we want to preserve are:
- Tie Dying Arts Academy T-shirts
- Scavenger Hunt
- Walking student schedules
- School Pictures
- Discussion of Schedules
- Introduction to the culture of the Academy
- Start of the year Drum Circle
This year, all students will take part in the Orientation activities.
All students will report to the cafegymatorium first thing for a morning assembly. Please enter the building at door #3 by the flagpole on Caroline.
We will have printed copies of student schedules. Students will be introduced to the faculty and staff at the Academy and enjoy a few art performances from their peers. Students will be introduced to their staff advisor and will leave the assembly with their advisor.
Advisory groups will take part in learning about our school and our process by visiting several learning stations throughout the building and engaging in some fun bonding activities. We have also scheduled school pictures for the first day of school. We will end our day with a walk thorough of the students’ schedules for a chance to meet teachers and visit classrooms.
Unfortunately, we only have enough Arts Academy T-Shirts for new students. All new students will receive a white Arts Academy T-shirt to tie dye. Returning students received theirs at their first orientation and are invited to wear them to show off their school pride! We want to ensure that all students get an opportunity to take part in the tie dye station, so returning students should bring a plain white T-shirt to tie dye.
Breakfast and Lunch
We will supply a healthy breakfast and lunch for all students. We will all eat lunch together, picnic style, in the Academy’s field. Our PTA (Parent Teacher Association) will be there and will supply treats for students.
Our administration and PTA are working to update our resources for parent orientation and we will provide an update by the end of next week!
We could not reschedule the drum circle for Tuesday, but we are going to have one during our Wednesday Assembly/Advisory time! I cannot wait to see everyone!
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION UPDATED 08/31/2022
We anticipate power being restored at the Academy at some point today.
However, due to the loss of power, there are some building related items that will not be ready for tomorrow morning. As such, Student and Parent Orientations scheduled for Thursday September 1 will be postponed.
We want to ensure that we are fully prepared to provide a great first experience, so the teachers and staff of the Academy will collaborate to provide a Student Orientation experience on the first day of school, Tuesday, September 6, for all students.
All students should report to the cafegymatorium at 8:30 on the first day. Please drop off students at Door #3, by the flag pole on Caroline. Breakfast and lunch will be available for all students on every school day this year.
Students will participate in school pictures of the first day of school September 6.
We will share additional details regarding Parent Orientation as soon as possible.
Family Information Updates and Parent Resources
- To ensure continued enrollment at the Academy, returning students must complete the Back-to-School information updates at Family Information Gateway. This will allow families to provide addresses, contacts, medical updates, and other essential information.
- All families should complete the Household Information Form application available at Meal Magic Portal
- There is information on the Parent Resource Page that will assist families with communicating with the Academy’s staff.
- We recommend that all families register using our online payment provider E Funds for Schools
- All students will have access to Microsoft Office.com and should use that to communicate with teachers and staff.
Picture Day 2022
Picture day was part of orientation on September 1.
Our school picture vendor is Lifetouch. Families can visit the LifeTouch website for details on ordering and viewing.
School Name: Arts Academy in the Woods
Picture Day Dates: Thursday, September 1
Picture Day ID: EVT3QNP3W
- Visit mylifetouch.com for Online Picture Ordering.
- School Name: Arts Academy In The Woods
Picture Retake day is scheduled for Friday October 21
Visit mylifetouch.com for Online Picture Ordering.
School Name: Arts Academy In The Woods
Picture Day Date: Thursday, September 1
Picture Retake day is scheduled for Friday October 21
Food Service 2022 - 2023
We are pleased to inform you that we will be participating in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) as part of the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.
The GREAT NEWS is that ALL students enrolled at our school can receive a healthy breakfast and lunch at NO CHARGE to your household each day.
To help unsure that we continue to have access to all available funding resources, please complete the Household Information Form
The Academy utilizes the SchoolMessenger service to notify families of current and ongoing events as well as attendance issues and weather related school closures. The service will automatically notify your family if your student is absent or tardy. This system uses your email and phone number as listed in PowerSchool to send messages. Please be sure we have your most current contact information. (Visit the website for links to Unified Classroom and how to update your information.) If you receive a message that you believe may be in error, please contact the main office.
Our most important tool for communication is PowerSchool/Unified Classroom. Please be sure that you check PowerSchool regularly. I recommend at least once per week. There are instructions for logging-in available on our website. If you are having difficulty accessing or understanding the information in PowerSchool, please contact the main office.
Finally, remember to stay connected with us through our website at www.artsacad.net, through PowerSchool, and through our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/artsacad. In addition to these communication portals, I will be sending regular emails, so make sure that we have your most current contact information!
ANNUAL MATERIALS FEE
The Academy has an annual (non-refundable) Materials Fee of $50 that we charge every student for general supplies related to attending our school. Examples of costs this fee covers are choir gown/costume cleaning fees, instrument repairs, specialized art supplies, USB drives, printing fees, art framing expenses, science lab fees, just to name a few.
Supplies needed to attend our school and participate in our programs are covered by this fee; however, we do recommend that students have basics like writing utensils and paper/notebooks, especially for the first day of school.
Who Do I Talk To About...?
A guide for Arts Academy families
Your first stop is almost always the teaching staff – Your teachers are here to help you!
The Academy’s teaching staff is the first line of communication for parents and students with questions about day to day activities.
The following general topics can usually be resolved by talking to teachers:
- Questions, comments or concerns about academic achievement or classroom discipline issues
- Questions about assignments or test grades
Who can help me with…?
Counselor Ms. Burrage firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exploring career interests, or researching and developing career plans
- Information about credit recovery, dual enrollment, or Early College enrollment
- Exploring college and post High school programs of study
- Individual or group counseling recommendations
- Help coordinating community/agency programs
Social Workers Mrs. Ziolkowski (aka Mrs. Z) email@example.com and Ms. Warren firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learning about food banks, community mental health agencies, therapists, psychiatrists
- Learning about assistance and resources for homelessness
- Need for a liaison between outside agency and school
- Socio-Emotional issues a student is having that is hindering their learning
Student Support Services, Vice Principal Mrs. Szopjak email@example.com
- Questions about MAP testing procedures or results
- Information on parent orientation or the AAW Parent Teacher Association
- Need for instructional support due to academic, attendance, or behavioral issues
Outreach & Admissions Mrs. Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
- Want to host a Shadow Student
- Want to help out with Open House, festivals, or other outreach events
- Have a friend/relative who wants to attend the Academy
- Need help finding a carpool to/from school
- Think of transferring to another school district
The Principal Dr. Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org
- General questions about the school
- Questions about school policies and procedures
- Questions about school-wide discipline issues or concerns
- Questions about the school’s mission or philosophy
- Concerns about the way an issue is handled by a staff member
The board is the last step for resolving an issue at AAW and they should be contacted for the following issues
- Appealing a disciplinary measure
- Proposing ideas for new programs or policy changes
- Concerns that have not been adequately addressed by school administrators
The board can also be contacted during their regular, monthly Board meetings. Dates and times are listed on the school calendar.
You can also send an email to: email@example.com
Still can’t figure out who to talk to? Try asking Ms. Allen in the Main Office!
The Main Office at Arts Academy in the Woods is available for walk-in questions and by phone Monday – Friday during regular school hours. If you did not find the right person for your questions anywhere in this sheet, chances are you’ll need to speak with Ms. Allen! firstname.lastname@example.org
Student schedules will be posted in Unified Classroom for returning students on Monday August 29. If you do not remember your log-in information, you can email Mrs. Allen email@example.com
New students will receive their usernames and passwords for Unified Classroom during new student orientation.
To request schedule changes, please complete the Schedule Request Form Students should follow their original schedule until they receive an updated schedule from a counselor or administrator.
All schedule change requests that are turned in by Thursday, September 1st will be addressed before the first day of school in a way that best meets the student’s academic and artistic needs. Unfortunately, not all requests can be implemented, but we will do our best to honor your requests.
7:00 AM – 8:15 AM (7:30 – 8:15 AM Breakfast is Available)
Door #3 (by the flagpole) will open at 7:00 am. Students arriving early must report to the gym until 8:00 AM. Students should remain on the first floor until 8:15 AM.
8:15 AM – DOOR #14 OPEN FOR ALL STUDENTS
3:45 PM – DOORS CLOSE FOR ALL STUDENTS
All students must exit the building by 3:45 PM, or be in the Hangout, a staff-sponsored club, workshop, or an after-school activity.
Daily Coronavirus Mitigation Plans
We are planning to begin the school year with face-to-face learning with mitigation strategies in place. The State and Federal guidelines are being updated regularly and we will do everything in our power to follow those recommendations and communicate plans to our community members.
At this time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s masking guidance for K-12 schools, were revised recently and updated recommendations include “universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status.”
We are incredibly pleased that we have been able to provide appropriate learning opportunities without placing our students or our staff at risk. We completed the 2020 academic year without a single case of COVID 19 transmitted at the Academy and we will do our best to continue to keep our community safe.
Please click the link to view the:
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6 from 8:30 – 3:31 PM. Students should arrive no later than 8:25 a.m. and are to report to the Cafegymatorium for a short assembly.
Please have your student bring a printed copy of their schedule from PowerSchool, a notebook, and a writing utensil on the first day of school.
The ‘Hangout’ is offered to students in grades 7, 8, 9 and 10 until 6:00 pm daily (unless otherwise posted).
Students in grades 11 and 12 must have prior written approval from administration to remain in the Hangout after (4:00 -4:30 PM), but they are always welcome and encouraged to attend after school clubs or workshops.
All students must submit the Hangout registration form and behavioral contract, signed by both the student and parent BEFORE the student may utilize the Hangout. The registration forms can be found on our website or in the main office.
Please turn in the registration forms prior to Tuesday, 9/6/22 if your student plans to utilize the Hangout on the first day of school.
Registration is required prior to attending. Forms may be found on our website under Parent Resources or in the main office.
Registration fee is $40 per family and can be paid using E Funds or by check in the main office. No daily rate will be charged this year.
Students should enter the building before 8:30 at door #3, by the flagpole.
After 8:30, students should enter at the main office entrance, Door # 17.
Students who drive should park in the student parking lot near the field.
Students should enter the building at Door #3, by the flagpole in the morning.
Door #3 is locked after 8:30 and students should enter through Door #17 after that.
Pick up and drop off procedures
- Please be respectful of our families who are picking up and dropping off. Please allow cars to merge into line and be patient while waiting to merge. Please move your car as far to the front of the line as space allows. Follow the arrows and allow other cars space to move around you if you are waiting for your student.
- Please be respectful of our neighbors during pick up and drop off. Do not make U-turns on Caroline. There is not enough room and you will end up driving over lawns. Please drive around the building or approach Door #3 from the north.
- Do not enter the fenced area with Fraser Buses off Masonic when dropping off or picking up kids. There are entrances to our parking lots on Caroline and Masonic.
REQUIRED VACCINATION UPDATES
For new transfer students and 7th graders, please review this updated information from the Michigan Health Department Vaccines Required for School Entry in Michigan